I want to thank Angela at Wakening Life for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I was planning to share cheeky Halloween jokes this week but I couldn’t forgo this because I was so honoured to be nominated.
These awards are a fun and important opportunity to recognize and connect with more bloggers. I love finding new bloggers and spreading the news about blogs that inspire me. At the moment, I am super focussed on my novel project as Nanowrimo approaches, so I’ve kept my most of my answers pretty short. Go over to Angela’s post to read some really thoughtful answers to the questions she was given.
Sunshine Blogger Rules
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link to the original post!
- Answer the 11 questions they’ve asked you.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 questions.
- HAVE FUN!
1. Have you always wanted to write? If not, how did you start?
Like many people, I had a phobia about writing. In the summer of 2015, I had a dream two nights in a row about the title and first line of a book. After the second dream, I thought I’d see where that first line led me, and I wrote a ‘book’ of almost 300 pages in less than six weeks. During that time, I got out a journal from when I was fourteen, and the first page I opened was an entry about how much I wanted to be a writer one day.
I got my wish when my career ended because my body could no longer keep up with the demands of busy, inquisitive six year olds. Three years later, I am finally able to call myself a writer without the air quotes.
2 What has been your greatest life accomplishment?
My marriage and my children.
3. What would you like to do if money was no object?
Improve housing and programs, especially mental health services, to get homeless people off the street.
4. Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? Why?
Lord of the Rings. I think I was a hobbit in a previous life. Also, I went to an open audition for the movie when we lived in Christchurch. I would have accepted but Cate Blanchett needed the work. 😉
5. There’s an idea that it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert in any field. What are you (closest to being) an expert in?
Too many smart ass answers come to mind, so I guess it would be – being a smart ass.
6. What is your favorite book?
I don’t really have a favourite but I first read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand in university, then several more times over the years. It illuminated so many things about society that were driving me nuts at the time. It’s been awhile, I might have to pick it up again. Who is John Galt?
7. What did you think you were going to be as a child? Is that close to what you are doing now?
I briefly thought I would be a fighter pilot, so no. I also thought I might be a teacher or a writer, so yes.
8. What has been the most useful lesson you’ve learned?
Love hard, spend wisely.
9. If you could time travel, would you rather travel to the future or the past?
I would go back to my adolescent self and give her a few slaps upside the head. And a hug. Sometimes I wonder how I survived, I was so misguided and self-destructive.
10. Would you choose to join a project, such as Mars One, that aimed to colonize another planet?
Not a chance. Claustrophobia. No way I’m stuffing myself in a tube and getting blasted to outer space.
11. What do you love most about yourself that most people wouldn’t know about? (does this make sense? I guess, what’s something about you, that no one else knows, that you love?)
The conversations I have with myself when I’m alone. I crack myself up.
- What is your earliest memory?
- What is your most frightening memory? Not to get too intense, in honour of Halloween. 👹👺🤡👻💀🎃
- What hobby would you get into if time and money weren’t an issue?
- What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you?
- Are you usually early or late?
- What pets did you have while you were growing up?
- Who inspires you to be better?
- What was the best compliment you’ve received?
- What is something that a ton of people are obsessed with but you just don’t get the point of?
- What’s something you’ve been meaning to try but just haven’t gotten around to?
- What’s the best thing that happened to you last week?
Here are my nominees:
No pressure to participate obviously, but I would love to hear your answers to these questions.
Have a wonderful week! Happy Halloween!